List:       systalk
Subject:    Re: [Systalk]Redirect via Perl?
From:       Fred Smith <fps () dividedsky ! net>
Date:       2001-04-27 16:27:48

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Jens Benecke wrote:

}btw, I'd appreciate if you could fix your quoting (use "> " not }). This
}makes life easier for the other 999,999,999 people on the internet.

fix your mail client if it's formatting it that way.  the difference
between '}' and '>' helps me differentiate between what i said and what
other people have said. i don't see how seeing '>>>' is nicer than seeing
'}>>', or how the former "makes life easier" for anyone.

}no, I asked my ISP, not the university. I cannot directly apply at DeNIC,
}you have to be a company to do that here, otherwise you have to go to a
}domain reseller. And they said because I don't own the netblock (or was it
}because the netblock is not owned by a company?) I cannot redirect that
}domain.

register.com sells .de domains..  you could have gone through them.
you would have needed your own nameservers, however, but i'm sure that no
other ISP would have imposed such odd rules (and it was the ISP that
imposed the restriction)

}> univerities are kinda picky about students reselling their bandwidth, so
}> when you say "can i host a dot com on your network" they'll say "no" and
}
}That wasn't what I was trying to do, I just wanted my homepage (custom
}setup with database etc) to be served from my own machine.

i know, but they have to deny all requests to keep people from taking
advantage of them.

-Fred

--
Fred Smith <fps@dividedsky.net>                 http://dividedsky.net/
RPI Computer Science                            RPI-ACM