List:       systalk
Subject:    Re: [Systalk]Let's Shrink NTFS, Resize Reiser!
From:       Fred Smith <fps () dividedsky ! net>
Date:       2001-04-26 18:27:45

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Timothy R. Butler wrote:

}Hi everyone,
}  I wanted to through this question out to you guys... I currently have a
}dualboot system with Win2k and SuSE Linux. As it stands, Windows taked 10
}gigs of
}space, and Linux gets 6 (this is because, when I partitioned the drive,
}Windows was still my primary desktop OS).
}  So, now I would like to shrink the NTFS drive so that I can give Linux more
}room (and I admit, install Windows XP Beta too). So, here are my questions:
}
}  1.) Is there any such thing as a loss-less drive resizer for NTFS
}partitions? I'm thinking that GNU parted is what I need to look into, but
}that's just a shot in the dark.
}
}  2.) What is the best way to then go about filling some of the newly created
}space with my main Linux (ReiserFS) partition?

gnu parted should do all of that, although i've never used it.

}swap partition. Can anyone give me a tip on how to recreate a swap partition
}(does it need any formatting, or do I just need to use fdisk and set the id
}of the new partition to "Linux Swap")?

you'll want to create a new partition in fdisk, set it's type to "Linux
swap" and run the "mkswap" program on it. (you may need to do some fstab
editing as well, but that shouldn't be hard.)

--
Fred Smith <fps@dividedsky.net>                 http://dividedsky.net/
RPI Computer Science                            RPI-ACM