List:       systalk
Subject:    Re: [Systalk]Securing Win98 for "public" use
From:       Avi Norowitz <avi () ulag ! net>
Date:       2001-04-23 0:40:57

Peter Westergaard wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Some folks I know have a computer that they want to keep as Win98 (and over
> that fact I probably have no control, though I'm trying), but they want to
> "lock it down" so that the main users (a couple of teens and friends, etc)
> are not going to be able to do TOO much damage too quickly.

There's a program - I can't remember the name, I think it starts with an
F, which runs from config.sys and sets most of the filesystem (with the
exception of stuff Windows needs to write to) to read-only. The network
admin used it at school, and it seemed to stop most people from
fiddling.

A better solution would be to run Windows NT 4 or Windows 2000 and
restrict the user to minimal access with that.

Also, make sure you disable booting from floppy drive in the CMOS, and
password protect CMOS modification. And if you use the first solution
(or something similar), make sure the user cannot easily get into DOS
(i.e. F8 on boot) and disable it.

> Basically, since all they need is Web and Office software, I think they
> should also get themselves some re-imaging software for when a) someone
> DOES figure out how to crash the damn thing, or b) Windows does it standard
> time-bomb-tantrum magic and stops working.
>
> So, does anyone have any good personal recommendations (either products or
> how-to's) for the following functions: (keep in mind, they only need
> personal-strength i.e. not industrial, either in terms of horsepower or
> security vulnerability or most especially cost... not free necessarily, but
> reasonably-priced is important):
>
> - disk re-image
> - Disabling meddling with the OS partition, or at least password-protect it
> - anything else you think they'd need to keep them trouble-free?

By reading this message you hereby agree to all concepts, statements,
ideas, and opinions contained within it's text.       http://ulag.net