List:       systalk
Subject:    Re: [Systalk]Packet collison.
From:       "Kurt Huhn" <kurt () k-huhn ! com>
Date:       2001-02-24 23:38:06

> > Should I suspect a bad 10/100 NIC?
>
> The PC has a 10Mbps card while the Mac has 10/100Mbps card. If I'm not
> mistaken, they don't need a switch to communicate to each other, the
10/100
> should detect the right band, correct?

Not necessarily.  I've had situations where a NIC and a switch (or hub) port
will "race" - trying to figure out what speed to communicate at.  If both
the NIC and the switch are auto-negotiating, this can happen - and when it
does it can be difficult to diagnose.  The only reason we knew about it the
first time was because the NIC was actually attached to a Nokia IP330
Checkpoint FW-1 box, and it logged all that wierdness.

Kurt
kurt@k-huhn.com