List:       systalk
Subject:    [Systalk] AOL mail port???
From:       Kurt Huhn kurthuhn () k-huhn ! com
Date:       2000-01-31 22:40:56

I've had nothing but trouble "supporting" AOL on my relative's computers.
The problem with AOL being "fool proof" is that only fools can use it.
Perhaps an unfair statement, but anything I know about connecting to an ISP
goes right out the window when I deal with AOL connections.

For instance:  Last night I had problems on two computers in one house, both
trying to connect to AOL.  The first had a problem with AOL using the modem.
You'd think that it would simply redirect to Windows for interaction with
the modem, like other software.  But no, it still wants exclusive access to
the modem in order to dial and connect.  I found that it was trying to use a
misconfigured modem.  Blame the end user for that, reconfigure it, and move
on.  It would seem to me, that since Windows was able to "talk" to the
modem, AOL wouldn't have a proplem - color me presumptuous.  The other
computer actually needed to have DNS resolution disabled in TCP/IP
properties in able to use the "internet" portion.  I kept getting an IE
error with DNS timeout messages.  I thought, what the hell, lets take a
look.  Normally I would expect that you would need DNS resolution for
internet connections - apparently I assume too much where AOL is concerned.
I have to stop imagining that AOL is a "real" internet provider - they
aren't.

AOL used to restrict access to websites when they were competitors to AOL.
For instance, when my home page was housed on MCI's member servers, it used
to be inaccessable from AOL because MCI is a competing ISP.  Stuff like that
burns my butt, big time.

Kurt