List:       systalk
Subject:    Win98 under linux
From:       Martin OReilly martin () oreilly ! cx
Date:       1999-09-26 23:04:53

- - ----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Heron <ron@heronet.2y.net>
| Also, Linux is a very powerful system.  In fact, I have a linux
only
| installation, and run Win98 from within linux!  Yes, I can run the
full
| blown install, with internet, multimedia, the whole bit, while
running
| linux.  When i switch to full screen mode, one would never know I
wasn't
| running windoze as a native.  Just let me know if you want to  know
| more.

Hi Ron,
I am running win98 on a celeron 333 / 64Mb ram / 6.4Gb HDD.  I am
interested in linux but do not want to jump in at the deep end and
leave my nice cosy windows GUI.   Running windows under linux seems
like a nice way to get familiar with linux without a dual boot system
(the other option I was considering).  I have a few questions (if you
don't mind :o).

1. What version of linux do you run?  I have a Red Hat distribution
from a magazine cover disk but I have heard FreeBSD is more secure.

2.What are the system overheads of running win98 this way?  Is it
noticeably slower than running win98 alone?

3. I have read that when win98 is run this way linux strips out all
the windows dlls etc and rewrites them.  Is this true?  If it is, I
would think it would make running win98 under linux more stable than
running it as a standalone OS  ;o)

4. I would definitely want a GUI.  I have heard of KDE and Gnome, but
I know there are others.  Which (if any) is your preference?  Are you
tied to a particular GUI depending on your distribution of linux?

As you can probably tell I am a complete linux novice, but
experimenting with linux while keeping all my win98 programs sounds
like fun!  I realise that some of my questions are general linux
questions and not specific to running win98 under it, hence my final
question:

5. Could you recommend some linux resources on the web?

Thanks a lot in advance, and don't pay any attention to Mr "want a
cookie".  There are people like that on every newsgroup/mailing list,
who think that just because they know something already it is
irrelevant and shouldn't be discussed.

Martin
madscientist@oreilly.cx
PGP Key ID: 0xA02117D1