List:       systalk
Subject:    freeBSD and lilo
From:       Mark Symonds mark () symonds ! net
Date:       1999-02-28 21:24:09

Hello all,

    Well, I just installed freeBSD.  But I have a problem.
I didn't install BSD's boot loader in hopes of getting
lilo to do it.  Can lilo boot a BSD partition, or do I
need to install BSD's  boot loader?  Can BSD's boot loader
boot a linux partition?

    I tried using the install floppy and passing the
parameters 1:wd(1,b)? at the boot: prompt but I get
the following error:

ERROR : D:0x81  C:0  H:0  S:0

over and over, I have to physically reset the machine.
I also tried 1:wd(1,b)kernel with the same result.  And
off a whim, I tried 1:wd(1,a)vmlinuz ... same thing.
Finally I tried 0:wd(1,b)? and the machine instantly
rebooted without any further messages.

I saw it install all of the software, I know everything's
on the partition.  But I can't get it to start up.

Any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated!

--Mark

-----
ACK!  No fortune!  He must be using *shudder* WINDOWS! @$#%