List:       syslog-sec
Subject:    Re: FYI: FTP location of output of IETF46 syslog BOF
From:       Alex_Brown () ne ! 3com ! com
Date:       1999-11-30 21:27:45

---------------------- Forwarded by Alex Brown/US/3Com on 11/30/99 04:23 PM
---------------------------

Jon Callas <callas@counterpane.com> on 11/30/99 04:20:14 PM

Sent by:  Jon Callas <callas@counterpane.com>

To:   Alex Brown/US/3Com, callas@counterpane.com
cc:   "Jon Callas" <callas @counterpane.com>

At 03:36 PM 11/23/99 -0500, Alex_Brown@ne.3com.com wrote:

>Hello -- we met at the Syslog Security BOF that I chaired at IETF46.   At
>this point the IESG has not approved the work for WG status, but we're
told
>we should continue developing these ideas.  You may be interested in the
>current drafts at the anon FTP site listed below.   Because much of this
>work draws on the concepts in the papers by Schneier and Kelsey on related
>topics, we're very interested in comments from Counterpane -- not least on
>the intellectual property issues raised by the patent applications
>mentioned in these papers.  If you could clarify the extent of the claims
>in those applications that would be very helpful;  in particular, whether
>there is any claim on the basic mechanism of chained MAC hashes.
I've spoken briefly to Bruce and John, and they're in favor of some sort of
liberal licensing in return for publicity.
I've forwarded your mail on to them, and see what they reply about the
specific claims. I don't know how much they want to tip their hands on
this, but the good news is that they aren't going to be grabby on it. I'm
not worried that something simple can be hashed out.
         Jon

-----
Jonathan D. Callas               callas@counterpane.com
Director of Engineering          +1 (408) 556-0328 (voice)
Counterpane Internet Security    +1 (408) 556-0889 (fax)
3031 Tisch Way, Suite 100        PGP: 42C6 AD1A 98B7 84B4 349E
San Jose CA 95128, USA                1528 EC0C ED80 D65E 3DFD

["att1.htm" (text/html)]

At 03:36 PM 11/23/99 -0500, Alex_Brown@ne.3com.com wrote:<br>
that I chaired at IETF46.&nbsp;&nbsp; At<br>
this point the IESG has not approved the work for WG status, but we're
told<br>
we should continue developing these ideas.&nbsp; You may be interested in
the<br>
current drafts at the anon FTP site listed below.&nbsp;&nbsp; Because
much of this<br>
work draws on the concepts in the papers by Schneier and Kelsey on
related<br>
topics, we're very interested in comments from Counterpane -- not least
on<br>
the intellectual property issues raised by the patent applications<br>
mentioned in these papers.&nbsp; If you could clarify the extent of the
claims<br>
in those applications that would be very helpful;&nbsp; in particular,
whether<br>
there is any claim on the basic mechanism of chained MAC hashes.<br>
I've spoken briefly to Bruce and John, and they're in favor of some sort
of liberal licensing in return for publicity. <br>
I've forwarded your mail on to them, and see what they reply about the
specific claims. I don't know how much they want to tip their hands on
this, but the good news is that they aren't going to be grabby on it. I'm
not worried that something simple can be hashed out.<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Jon<br>
Callas&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
callas@counterpane.com</div>
Engineering&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +1
(408) 556-0328 (voice)</div>
(fax)</div>
PGP: 42C6 AD1A 98B7 84B4 349E&nbsp; </div>
San Jose CA 95128,
USA&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
1528 EC0C ED80 D65E 3DFD