List:       syslog-sec
Subject:    change of facilities
From:       Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards () hq ! adiscon ! com>
Date:       2004-01-29 11:36:00

Hi WG,

just a by-note, so that everybody is aware of this: we are changing the
facility from a few defined values to a very broad range (unsigned int
32, if nobody objects). Please note that some existing implementations
of syslog (namely at least the stock linux versions) use a table of PRI
values to guide there processing.

Adapting them to the new scheme will require considerate redesign of
that part of the code. As the whole syslogd is just around ~3000 lines
of not-so-complex code, I think that should not stop us from making
these changes.

I just wanted to make sure that everybody is aware of this implication.

Rainer