List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:28327] Re: Symbols and Word Wrap in Composing emails
From:       Gene Goldenfeld <genegold () highstream ! net>
Date:       2006-08-10 16:51:06

Laurence Darby <ldarby@mips.com> wrote:

> Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
>
> > Some months back there was a discussion about how in certain
> > situations symbols and other characters annoyingly repeat
> > themselves on subsequent lines while typing a message.  Hiro
> > explained it was operating the way he intended.  I'm wondering if
> > it's beyond that.  For example, in the message about quotes I just
> > sent out (see below), there are two lines that start with "text>".
> > When typing past the end of those lines, thus invoking word wrap, I
> > found the "text>" repeated at the start of the next line.  Thus, on
> > my screen, the last sentence wrapped after "that" and the next line
> > showed "View>" before "change," which requires correction
> > (repeatedly so if editing/rewriting). That strikes me as a bug.
> > This doesn't seem to happen when the symbol is not at the beginning
> > of the line, such as in this paragraph.
> >

> _Configuration->Common->Compose->Editor->Wrap Quotation,
>
> Does that help?
>
> Something else I think might be a bug, to do with line wrapping, is if
> a word starts with a '/' and that word will cause a wrap then the
> word /before it gets wrapped as well...
>
> So the last 'word' there shouldn't have been wrapped after the
> 'then the'.  I notice this a lot when typing in unix paths.
>
> > ------
> > I'm sorry, but I have to take that correction back.  In Common
> > Prefs>Display>Encoding, changing Default Character Encoding to
> > Western European Windows-1252 does not change the default under
> > View>Character Encoding session to session.  I'm not sure what that
> > change in Common Prefs does.
> > ------
>
> Also, the lines begining with Pref & View are highlighted blue, (in my
> viewer at least) presumably since it can't tell they aren't indented
> replies. There's probably an rfc somewhere describing reply
> indentation formats.

Turning off Wrap Quotation seems to turn off Word Wrap as well.
Instead of wrapping at 72 chars, my message wraps at 96, which is
screen width.  I did see the blue highlight in the posted version.
I just realized that under Compose>Format, Sylpheed is seeing > as part
of a quote and coloring the whole line as such (I prefer using < > for
designating quoted passages, but just changed it to quotes to see what
happens). Is there a place to change or cancel the color change?

Gene

Gene