List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:27743] Re: Focus and "Open with browser"
From:       Gene Goldenfeld <genegold () highstream ! net>
Date:       2006-03-26 16:01:27

Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y@kcn.ne.jp> wrote:

Gene Goldenfeld <genegold@highstream.net> wrote:

>> I raised two related issues. The main one is that when I right-click
>> on a URL in an email (text or HTML) and choose 'Open with browser,'
>> something - I've assumed Sylpheed - will not let the focus come back
>> to Sylpheed until the browser is finished opening and/or the page
>> loaded.

> I'm not sure what the problem is - on my system (Windows XP
> Professional SP2 / Pentium-M 1.1GHz), after clicking a URL, the
> operation immediately returns to Sylpheed before Web browser is
> launched.
>
> Technically, in Win32 version, ShellExecute() Win32 API is used to
> open URLs or files by default, which is of course asynchronous.
>
> Optionally you can specify a program to open URLs. It is also executed
> asynchronously (libsylph/utils.c::open_uri()).

At the risk of making a fool of myself (again), I've been hesitant to
say anything since 2.2.3 came out, wondering if it was some kind of
wishful thinking or placebo effect. Yet, try as I might to replicate the
"stuck focus" behavior that had been going on for some time in Win32
version, it disappeared with the release of 2.2.3.  A popup that allows
the browser to be opened in the background would still be welcome.

Gene Goldenfeld