List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:26577] sylpheed vs user home directory
From:       Ian Bruce <ian_bruce () fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2005-12-20 9:45:55

I recently had occasion to want to run sylpheed on one machine, while
using the configuration and IMAP account information stored on
another, and available through an NFS mount. I assumed that this would
be possible by setting the HOME environment variable to point to the
appropriate directory. This did not work.

Investigation shows that sylpheed gets its idea of where to look for
configuration data from the /etc/passwd file, presumably by using the
GLib function g_get_home_dir() . This makes doing what I wanted to
impossible. Can the code be changed to use getenv("HOME") instead?

Does anybody know why g_get_home_dir() consults the passwd file rather
than the HOME environment variable? This seems kind of dumb. Looking
at /etc/passwd is supposed to be login(1)'s job.

-- Ian Bruce