List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:26408] Crash with jpilot and non-ASCII characters
From:       Joachim Selinger <selinger () bawue ! de>
Date:       2005-11-21 22:28:59

Hi,

I just realized that there seems to be a problem with using jpilot
addresses in Sylpheed when those use non-ASCII characters (like German
ä, ü, ö). Maybe it has to do with different character encodings.

I have to use iso8859-15 in sylpheed (rather than UTF-8) as my old
tcsh does not handle UTF-8 and that is the only way everything else
displays correctly.

I do not know which charset JPilot uses, but all chars display
correctly there.

When I 'tab-complete' addresses in Sylpheed and I hit one with a
non-ASCII in the description part of the email, the special character
is not displayed but instead the string is cut short right there and
no text shows anymore to the right of that position. This has been the
case for a long time for me.

Now, when this happened to me right now, a few times in a row,
sylpheed disappeared on me instantly and my composed mail was
gone. That was the first time sylpheed crashed on me with data
loss. :-(

I run debian sarge with

Sylpheed: version 2.0.4
- GTK+ version 2.6.4
- Compiled-in features: IPv6 iconv compface GnuPG OpenSSL LDAP JPilot

Anythins else anyone needs to know?

Thanks for the excellent program!

Grüßle
Jocki