List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:25649] Re: Problems with Envelope-From and a small bug
From:       EC <zybhjk () verizon ! net>
Date:       2005-08-27 16:43:16

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:19:40 +0200
Godwin Stewart <gstewart@bonivet.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 03:12:33 -0400, EC <zybhjk@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > Secondly, I am trying to get Envelope-From working in sylpheed, so I can
> > use multiple accounts to send mail.  In mutt, this works by setting
> > envelope_from=yes in the config, and then switching the From: fields in a
> > message.
>
> Just create several accounts in sylpheed.
>
> "Configuration" menu >> "Create new acount..."

I have two accounts, and can switch the From while composing a message, but sylpheed does not pass the \
envelope-from info to the mailer as sylpheed does.  I could use a different smtp sender command with a \
different -a <account name> flag for each, but the command cannot be specified on a per-account basis.

I think what the envelope-from option does is instructs the MUA to not only send the mail through stdin \
but to also call the MTA with a -f <address> flag.  The address specified here should be the same as the \
From: in the email.  The MTA (or mine at least, msmtp), will look at the contents of the -f flag, \
(zybhjk@verizon.net, say) and parse through its config to find the smtp server to use for that address.

Sylpheed seems to be missing the ability to pass the -f option, which is a necessity to use a local smtp \
sender with multiple accounts.  However, this doesn't seem like a very unique setup- there must be some \
way around it.

//Eli