List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:25597] Re: How to see To: field in the main window
From:       Dmitri Koulikov <dima () mitrah ! ru>
Date:       2005-08-17 21:41:20

Hello Stefaan A Eeckels,

SAE> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:34:18 +0400
SAE> Dmitri Koulikov <dima@mitrah.ru> wrote:

<...>

-->>sylpheed@good-day.net

SAE> or one of your correspondents, in which case Sylpheed will show
SAE> the sender:

SAE> Dmitri Koulikov

SAE> All the information you need is in the display. Having a second column
SAE> would impact on the space available for the subject, for example, and
SAE> most of the time it would show redundant information, especially if you
SAE> sort messages into folder by correspondent (so the To: and From:
SAE> fields would always show your own address and a single correspondent's
SAE> address. Not my idea of useful.
     I include a snapshot of The Bat! window, so you can see that the
space is not important thing and how handy is to see both To and From
fields as well as

>>      Usually Mbox format keeps the date or letter arrival in the first
>> line "From ".

SAE> I don't think so. The From: line should contain the originator's
SAE> address, not a date.
     In my case there are both. Following are some lines from my
/var/spool/mail/$USER .

From dima@mitrah.ru Tue Aug 16 07:30:26 2005
To: dima@mitrah.ru
Subject: cron: bash -l -c "foxa birthday" 2>/dev/null

>> If it does not fit, it is possible to create special
>> header line. Under 'receiving' I mean the process leading to the
>> "appearing" the message in my Inbox.

SAE> One could indeed add a custom header to hold the date of retrieval by
SAE> Sylpheed. It's one of those things that doesn't strike me as
SAE> particularly useful, and it would seem not many Sylpheed users are
SAE> clamouring for such an addition. But hey, it's Open Source so please
SAE> feel free to submit a patch :-)
     Of course, it is possible, but it surely will take times more
time than for a person that knows the source good :-)

>> SAE> You can't display the date from the final Received: line in the Summary
>> SAE> view. As far as I am concerned, it's only useful if you want to
>> SAE> investigate mail transport or delivery problems, and then you'll need
>> SAE> all the headers anyway.

>>      Usually I just want to know when the letter reached my Inbox

SAE> Is this so important it needs to be shown in the Summary view? There
SAE> again, you seem to have different requirements than most, judging by
SAE> the fact that this feature is not requested by hordes of Sylpheed
SAE> users.
     This must be the _option_ so anybody sees just needed information.

>> SAE> It works when you use Cut/Paste (ctrl-C, ctrl-V), at least when using
>> SAE> GNOME. Support for X cut'n paste is often patchy in GTK or QT based
>> SAE> applications.

>>      Indeed this is the first application with such a behavior I see.

SAE> Bluefish doesn't support X cut 'n paste either. It's part of the
SAE> approach taken by the authors of Unix/Linux desktops - they want to
SAE> emulate the Windows way, and the original X approach isn't compatible.
SAE> I've a traditional three button mouse, and using the middle button is
SAE> easy. On a Linux machine with a wheel mouse, I find it far less easy
SAE> and I tend to use the Windows style. Anyway, it's something to look at
SAE> when reworking the address book.
     OK, I'll be waiting for. By the way, I consider the Windows way
very irritating and painful.

SAE> <...>

>> SAE> outgoing messages in the project folder. Select Configuration|
>> SAE> Edit Accounts|Edit, and then in the Advanced tab you can set the folder
>> SAE> in which outgoing messages should be saved. Right click on the folder
>> SAE> in the Folder pane and select "Properties", and associate the folder
>> SAE> with the account to ensure that Sylpheed automatically uses that
>> SAE> account when sending messages from this folder.

>>      I don't understand how to solve the following situation. I have
>> three friends: Adam, Bob, and Charly. So I have the same subfolders in
>> the Inbox. When I send a letter to Adam, it goes to the Send folder
>> and then it should be moved to the Inbox/Adam. The same should occure
>> for Bob and Charly. How to manage it?

SAE> Create an account for each of the folders. In the "Advanced" tab of
SAE> the account properties, select "Put sent messages in" and select the
SAE> appropriate destination folder. Associate the folder with the account
SAE> through the 'Folder Properties | Compose" tab. Create a filter rule to
SAE> move all incoming messages from the friend in the approriate
SAE> destination folder. When you compose a new message or reply to a
SAE> message in this folder, the settings of the account will ensure that
SAE> the copy of the outgoing message will be saved in the folder, and
SAE> voila, Bob's your uncle.
     So, if I have 100 correspondents, then besides creating 100
folders and 100 rules I have to create 100 accounts and make 100
associations and set 100 properties.
     I suggest to add to the rules one thing, the folder in which to
apply the rule. This will left only 200 operations of 500. In The Bat!
there are five variants: Incoming mail, Outgoing mail, Read messages,
Replied messages and rules controlling downloading of messages.

SAE> <...>

>>      So there should be added to the menu the items like this: [un]set
>> replied mark, [un]set forwarded mark etc.

SAE> That would be another feature request :-)
     Good.

SAE> <...>

>>    9. How to save attached file with the filter?

SAE> You want to automatically extract attachments? It's one of those
SAE> features that's either a pain in the butt because it's too simplistic
SAE> (cfr Eudora), or something that gets horrendously complex to configure.
SAE> I suggest that you submit how you see such a feature working. For
SAE> example, should one be able to save specific attachments, and how
SAE> should these attachments be recognised. Should there be only a single
SAE> destination folder, or many. Should extracted attachments be removed
SAE> from the message, or should the message remain intact. How should one
SAE> handle encrypted messages when the key is unknown or cannot be accessed
SAE> (need for passphrase, etc.).
     We add to the possible actions new one: Extract attachments with
one parameter - destination folder and one of three options for the
case there exists a file with the same name: Overwrite, skip,
increment file name (a.out -> a1.out -> a2.out). If you wish there may
be action "Delete attachments from the message" and even "Delete
message". If the message is encrypted and there is no way to obtain
necessary information, obviously we cannot extract attachment and the
action will fail (possibly leaving a record in the log).
     Indeed without this ability the mailer is useless for me :-(
though I am still looking for...

SAE> Take care,
     Thank you.

--