List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:25228] Re: Signature included at EOF
From:       Michael Schwendt <mschwendt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-24 21:16:40

On 24/06/05, Paul Jackson <pj@sgi.com> wrote:

> But I don't see what that has to do with:
>
> > ...  clever mail user agents, who then cut off
> > everything below ...
>
> The three character string "-- " is recognized as a separator, as you
> note, when it appears at the beginning of the line, and is the only
> thing on the line.  When it's quoted, it will have something like the two
> character "> " prefix, which will protect it from being seen as a separator.

What I mean--and probably could have emphasised by starting a new
paragraph--is, that if mail clients have means to strip off specially
crafted signatures automatically, that should be an indication that
normally, signatures should not be quoted manually either (unless, as
you point out, there is something which comments on the signature
content). I also noticed that the OP doesn't have a signature
separator above his signature, so most likely he is not aware of
signature specialties. The wish to insert a signature in the middle of
a quote is weird enough. ;)