List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:24394] Incorporate from spool not the default for local mailboxes?
From:       Michael Schwendt <mschwendt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-03-18 16:10:07

Hi everyone!

At http://bugzilla.redhat.com/129384 a Fedora Core 2 user complains
that setting up a local mailbox in Sylpheed, i.e. an account with
Protocol "None(local)", does not retrieve messages from local spool
file. Clicking "Get" button or the Message/Receive menus does nothing.

He points out that the Sylpheed manual in section 2.1, "Setup for
reading your Unix mailbox in a hurry", does not mention that it is
necessary to open menu "Configuration > Common preferences > Receive"
in order to enable the checkbox "Incorporate from spool" there.

The account creation dialog does not offer to retrieve mail from local
spool file. Its "Receive" tab is empty and disabled. Only the common
preferences dialog offers the option to retrieve from spool file.

And indeed, in sylpheedrc and in the code, the inc_local variable is
"false" by default.

For me, either default makes sense. But I can understand that for
local mailboxes, access to local spool file should be the default and
would be less confusing. Why is it not enabled by default?

Regards,
Michael