List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:23513] Re: IMAP filtering, was: Re: Sylpheed 0.9.99
From:       Manfred Usselmann <usselmann.m () icg-online ! de>
Date:       2004-10-27 9:38:01

Randy.Dunlap wrote:

> Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>
>> IMAP filtering must be done with procmail (or something like that) on
>> the server side, right? I don't see how one would be able to do
>> client-side IMAP filtering without messing up IMAP. I would be happy
>> for my errors to be corrected.

The mail client can move messages between folders on the server, right?
Manually moving and copying between folders on the server works fine
with Sylphed, so there is no reason why it shouldn't work automatically
via filter rules.

Filtering on the server has one big advantage though: You can switch
between different mail clients (e.g. I use Sylpheed at home, Mozilla
Mail at work and webmail at different places) and your mail is always
filtered. And you don't have to wait when you start your mailclient
until everything is sorted.
But if you always use the same mail client and don't receive hundreds of
mails per day, filtering on the client side should be sufficient.

And may be the only way if you don't have a chance to konfigure
filtering software on the server (e.g. no access, not enough
permissions, not enough knowledge).

>> Valorie  <---- using IMAP with procmail filtering

I use maildrop for filtering on the server side.

> Thunderbird (from mozilla.org) successfully does IMAP filtering
> on the server.

So this proofs that it is possible.

Manfred