List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:23300] Re: What does Sylpheed do at start-up (delay)?
From:       David Feldman <wb0gaz () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-08-04 16:24:41

On the two replies (thanks very much!) - here is info:

Bill - The delay is repeatable, however, I don't see such delay in
startup of another GTK based application I use (the Dillo browser,
which admittedly has somewhat fewer widgets, but starts without any
perceptible delay even on my older, 133 MHz Omnibook, and it does use
GTK+). I guess my interest was if it is a widget rendering issue or
some kind of DNS/hostname or other networking lookup it's doing at
start time (I haven't looked at the code.) Your idea of keeping older
machines to test code is a good one - I used to keep old 4.7 MHz 8088
machines around to test once I got my first speedburner - a 20 MHz
386 box.

Roger - I am not using KDE *OR* GNOME - this machine is set up to use
Motif Window Manager only, and I launch from a command prompt. Are
there any hooks/dependencies into KDE or GNOME that might manifest as
a delay, rather than failure of a RPM install? As I have only 80M RAM
I was concerned that the machine would be on the disc swap excessively,
 but the disc isn't getting accessed during this delay period. The "
couple of seconds" start is what I was expecting to see, maybe a bit
longer owing to 166 vs 200 MHz.

Tks,

Dave