List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:22675] Re: Local mail account
From:       Allen Ziegenfus <listmail () allenz ! net>
Date:       2004-04-09 15:10:03

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:39:12 -0700
David Barto <david.barto@viasat.com> wrote:

> > What do you mean by "doesn't pick up"? Are you saying that there is
> > still mail in /var/mail<username> ? Sylpheed should have no trouble
> > pulling that.

This discussion reminded me of the time when I was trying to get qmail
to work with sylpheed. IIRC, qmail doesn't use /var/mail or
/var/spool/mail; instead it delivers it right to the user's home
directory. I think it also uses a different format from sendmail.
Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure that sendmail uses
/var/spool/mail anymore either.

At the time I couldn't get qmail to work with sylpheed at all which I
found very surprising. It seemed pretty odd to me that sylpheed should
be dependent on a particular MTA/MDA. Is there a way to have it work? I
don't remember fiddling with the option for using an external program
for incorporation, so maybe that's the key. Maybe I could have also
set up procmail to get it to work.

So I was curious if there had been any discussion about making sylpheed
integrate better with different MTAs. I just remember having a heck
of a time getting it to work.

Allen