List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:22423] Re: Questions from a Sylpheed newbie
From:       Julian Opificius <julianop () barnlea ! com>
Date:       2004-02-29 19:14:48

John Coppens, thanks for your supportive appraisal of my comment.

Alfons, it's much too late to be sceptical about the real world metaphor used in
GUIs. The whole desktop GUI metaphor has been around for over twenty years. But
I do empathize with your skepticism, though: I've worked on UIs for over a
decade, and I've seen some shabby work in that time!

What I'm proposing here is that we be more consistent in our application of it.
Had we collectively as UI designers (or programmers pretending to be such) been
consistent over the years, perhaps there would have been less cause for your
scepticism today :-)

The reason to use of a metaphor in the first place is that it gives intuitive
clues about how a user interface will respond to you, based on the rules learned
from your previous real-world experience. For the programmer to second-guess the
operator's possible predominant use of a particular operation with a view to
reducing the use of modifiers (like alt or ctrl) is to "out-think" the operator.
It breaks away from the metaphor, and squanders its value. Conforming
consistently to a metaphor, IMO, is more important than saving the operator from
hitting a ctrl key. In the case of color blindness, we still don't need to
abandon a metaphor: we could just augment it by employing other supporting
graphical indicators like shape change, or international ISO symbols, all of
which are easy in a GUI world.

And to extend Charles Crayne said in his first response to your post, to even
think of writing a move algorithm that does not verify the copy before the
delete is absolutely unthinkable.

I don't object to leaving the existing default copy/move behavior as it is, but
it would be very helpful if it were a configurable option.

Interesting discussion, guys :-)

julian.