List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:22165] Re: PATCH: Show underlying URL before
From:       Spencer Collyer <spencer () lasermount ! uklinux ! net>
Date:       2003-12-29 17:50:05

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 01:42:49 +1030, Mark Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One concern I would have with trying to validate the displayed verses
> href URL, rather than just displaying it, is the variety of ways that
> URLs can be encoded eg. the %20 (or something like that) method for
> characters, unicode encoding etc. I'd suspect that could make the
> validation task quite complicated. Additionally, as the text between the
> and < is free form text, there are probably further possiblities of
> fooling the validation code.

But surely, if the text between the > and < looks like a URL, but the
underlying HREF does not match it exactly, that is when some kind of
warning is required. After all, why would a _legitimate_ HREF need to be
disguised?

--
<<< Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines >>>
5:47pm up 18 days 0:09, 11 users, load average: 0.03, 0.07, 0.22