List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:22138] Offline mode
From:       Aaron Kaplan <kaplan () cs ! rochester ! edu>
Date:       2003-12-25 23:22:41

I was excited to see that 0.9.8 had an offline mode, but I just tried
it out and it doesn't do what I was looking for.  For me, an offline
mode would only be useful if it let me connect to the net, quickly get
all of my new messages, and disconnect, and then read and reply to
messages while offline.  Unless I missed a configuration option
somewhere, sylpheed skips the "get all of my new messages" part.  It
gets the new headers, but not the bodies, so once I'm offline, the new
messages aren't available to read (unless I clicked on each one of
them individually while still online, which can be really tedious if
there are a lot of messages).

I used netscape mail for offline imap a few years ago, and if I
remember correctly it had a per-folder option called something like
"select this folder for offline reading."  That way, you can have some
folders whose messages are automatically downloaded, and others where
messages aren't downloaded unless requested explicitly.

A final note--it would be nice to have an offline mode that worked
just the way I wanted, but I would be equally happy to have maildir
support, because then I could use offlineimap
(http://gopher.quux.org:70/devel/offlineimap) to communicate with the
IMAP server, and sylpheed could just work with local folders.

Thanks
-Aaron