List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:21850] Re: Address Book Improvements
From:       Andre Costa <acosta () ar ! microlink ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-10-30 15:22:09

Hi Hiroyuki,

I would like to humbly request that you consider rearranging the
priorities among 'alias', 'nickname' and 'display name'. As it is today,
'alias' is always displayed if it is defined, regardless of the presence
of a 'display name'. IMHO this kind of defeats the purpose of both
fields, i.e. basically I would like 'display name' to always appear
despite of which field ('nickname' or 'alias') I used for TAB-completion.

Explaining: suppose I have this:

Display Name: John Doe
Email: jdoe@foo.bar
Nickname: ABCD
Alias: XYZ

both ABC<tab> and XY<tab> will result in 'XYZ <jdoe@foo.bar>'. IMHO both
should display 'John Doe <jdoe@foo.bar>'. It gets even worse when I
don't want a person to realize I call him/her by a specific alias or
nickname... ;)

Also, since we're on the subject, what's the exact role 'nickname' plays?

TIA

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa