List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:21378] Online Demo against SWPats: Could Sodipodi participate?
From:       "Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee.sylpheed () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-08-21 19:44:15

Hi,

something else:

I'm a member of the FFII (and finally also an avid Sylpheed Claws user)
and we are organizing a demonstration on August 27th (see the latest
press release at http://swpat.ffii.org/neues/03/demo0819/index.en.html)
to make people and MEPs (members of the European parliament) aware of
the dangers surrounding the legalization of software patents that may be
up for vote in the European Parliament as early as September 1st. The
main part of the demonstration will take place in Brussels. In addition
there will be an "online demonstration" whose idea is to simulate the
effects of Software Patents by shutting down web sites on August 27th
(http://swpat.ffii.org/gruppe/demo/index.en.html).

Is there any chance that the Sylpheed and/or Sylpheed Claws project
participate in this event? Note that the Sylpheed and Sylpheed Claws web
sites don't need to be closed down completely. On http://swpat.ffii.org/
gruppe/demo/index.en.html there are several examples on how it's
possible to show ones concerns without taking such drastic measures, but
there's no need to stick to the examples.

Just as a quick reminder: Many trivial things are already patented in
the US such as tabbed palettes (http://swpat.ffii.org/patente/
wirkungen/palette/index.en.html) which, BTW, Sylpheed and Sylpheed Claws
are infringing upon. I for one don't want to have the same situation in
Europe and fear that it will ultimately kill the competitiveness of Free
Software.

Felix

BTW, I crossposted this to the Sylpheed list and the Sylpheed Claws list
because the projects use different web sites.