List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:21370] Re: Decoding UTF-8 Email
From:       dan () tombstonezero ! net
Date:       2003-08-20 17:49:10

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:15:38 +0300,
Theofilos Intzoglou <parapente@mail15.com> wrote:

> I faced the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I didn't use a
> correct locale so when I tried to use a unicode font everything
> appeared as boxes. You should check with 'locale -a' if
> en_US.UTF-8 (or en_US.utf8 as it appears) exist. If it doesn't,
> you have to create it with localedef issuing the command:
>
> localedef -v -i en_US -f UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8

I don't have locale or localedef.

I do have *two* directories full of locales, though (oh, the joys
of Mac OS X):  /usr/share/locale/ and /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/.

The former, which I assume is part of Mac OS X, contains only
en_US, en_US.ISO8859-1, en_US.ISO8859-15, and en_US.US-ASCII.

The latter, though, which is obviously part of XFree86, does
contain an en_US.UTF-8 directory.

> ... choose an iso10646-1 font (ignore the warning about it being
> a multibyte font) and you should be able to read the email just
> fine! If you can read these greek characters then you are ok:
> Καλή τύχη! (=Good luck!)  :-) I hope that helps!

Oddly enough, I can read those greek characters perfectly in emacs
(which I'm using to edit this email).

Further investigation indicates that there's something wrong with
Apple's native Mac OX X locale support, but I still maintain that
there's something funny going on within sylpheed under XFree86 as
well.

Currently, I'm using an ISO8859-1 encoded font in sylpheed.

While I'm editing this email in emacs, sylpheed's Compose Message
window is open and shows the un-edited reply in an insensitive
editing window.  I see exactly eight "missing glyph" boxes where
the greek characters ought to be.

In the main sylpheed message window, though, I see Theofilos'
original email (with its ISO8859-7 encoding and quoted-printable
content type).  The greek characters show up as follows:

    an I with a circumflex;
    a missing character box;
    an I with a circumflex;
    a +/- sign;
    an I with a circumflex;
    a right guillermot;
    an I with a circumflex;
    a Registered Trademark symbol;
    a space;
    an I with a circumflex;
    a missing character box;
    an I with a circumflex;
    a missing character box;
    an I with a circumflex;
    a missing character box;
    an I with a circumflex;
    a raised dot (I think); and
    the exclamation point.

With an ISO10646-1 encoded font, I get almost all missing glyph
boxes in the main window, but the *same thing as with the 8859-1
font* in the Compose Message window.

Still perplexed,
Dan

--