List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:21362] Decoding UTF-8 Email
From:       Dan Sommers <dan () tombstonezero ! net>
Date:       2003-08-18 10:43:23

Hi,

Sylpheed doesn't seem to decode UTF-8 email.

I'm running version 0.9.4 on Mac OS X 10.2.6 (under fink).

LANG is en_US.UTF-8.  I've tried setting LC_ALL to that same
value, too, but I get the same results.

This email (as long as I've done it the same way as my tests):

    - contains some non-ASCII characters, correctly UTF-8 encoded:

        Omega: Ω
        Aleph: ℵ

        Integral: ∫
        Multiplication: ×
        Division: ÷

        Superscript:  ¹
        Subscript: â‚‚

    - has the right Content-Type header: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
    - has the right Content-Transfer-Encoding header: 8bit

In my message window, though, the Omega (\u+03a9, utf-8 0xce 0xa9)
displays as two characters (a capital I with a circumflex and a
copyright symbol), and the Aleph (\u+05d0, utf-8 0xe2 0x84 0xb5)
as three (a small a with a circumflex, a "missing glyph" box, and
a greek mu).

I can save this email and view it correctly elsewhere, which
indicates that it is, in fact, encoded properly, and that it's
just sylpheed that isn't recognizing the UTF-8 encoding.

I'm using an iso8859-1 font.  When I select an iso10646-1 font, I
get warnings that it is a two-byte font and may not display
correctly and then most of my email just shows up as those
"missing glyph" boxes.

Okay, and now that I've gone back and re-read the archives and
rechecked all my settings and variables, *sometimes* sylpheed
recognizes the UTF-8 encoding.  Now I'm really confused.  I will
claim that I haven't changed anything since my initial test, but I
am willing to be proven wrong.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Dan Sommers