List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:21183] Spamassassin newbie needs help...
From:       Anders Jarnberg <linuxdude () bredband ! net>
Date:       2003-07-29 20:07:32

Being inspired by earlier mails I'm trying to setup Spamassassin to
work together with Sylpheed. Alas, I'm doing something wrong at the
last step which I can't figure out, so I'm looking for hints. This
is fairly long...

I'm posting my configs and hoping for help.

/etc/fetchmailrc  (for systemwide use)
----------------
set postmaster "root"
set no bouncemail
set invisible
poll pop.bredband.net proto pop3 user "anders" with password "12345" to "anders" here keep mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d anders"

$HOME/.procmailrc  (for this specific user)
-----------------
DROPPRIVS=YES
SHELL=/bin/sh
MAILDIR=$HOME/MailDirs
# DEFAULT=inbox/.
LOGFILE=$HOME/logs/procmaillog
VERBOSE=yes

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 256000
| spamc

:0:
Spam/.

Sylpheed - Common prefs
--------
Local spool
Incorporate
Filter
/var/spool/mail

Sylpheed - Account
--------
Created a specific account with only local spool and an SMTP.

I have an ISP POP and SMTP server for incoming/outgoing mail, no
local server being used.

Scenario: I run fetchmail manually as root, it works for a while, and
then drops me back to the command line after all is done. The results
are that I have all the spam neatly placed in the Spam folder described
in .procmailrc and the other mail is placed in /var/spool/mail in a
file named "anders" (which is the user account I'm running under).
The spam is tagged appropriately. The mail in /var/spool/mail is
also tagged, so obviously it's all been running through spamc as
described in .procmailrc.

But I can't get my mail from /var/spool/mail into Sylpheed.
If I uncomment the DEFAULT statement in .procmailrc I get all the
mail neatly placed into the Sylpheed inbox as expected, but no
filtering takes place so everything ends up there.

Questions:
1. Should Sylpheed be able to read the mail file in spool, in my
   case /var/spool/mail/anders or do I have to do something extra
   to it?
2. If there is no other solution than to place it all in the inbox,
   how can I then persuade Sylpheed to filter all new messages
   placed in the inbox?

thanks in advance,
Anders