List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:21168] Re: interfacing with external tools (was: something else)
From:       melvin.hadasht () free ! fr
Date:       2003-07-29 1:15:48

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 06:21:07PM -0400, Bill Smith wrote:
> Le Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:21:13 +0200,
> « Godwin Stewart <gstewart@bonivet.net> » a écrit:
>
> GS> And Thus Spake sweetleaf <sweetleaf@myrealbox.com> (on Mon, 28 Jul
> GS> 2003 03:06:54 -0500):
> GS>
> GS> > maybe one more suggestion: Would it be feasible to add a
> GS> > calander/reminder/scheduler ?
> GS>
> GS> To a mailer?!?!?
> GS>
> GS> I don't think we want to turn sylpheed into what the Germans call an
> GS> "Eierlegende Wohlmilchsau"...
>
> I agree...
>
> Now, on the other hand, if someone wanted to develop a main routine that
> pulled in the functionality of several existing applications (like
> Sylpheed for the mail function, some other programs to cover the
> calendar and all that), then that would be a Good Thing...

So you want something to interface between Sylpheed and an external tool?
The framework is already there: the Actions.

Just create some tiny tools that parse a message or one of its parts and that
communicate with any calendaring/scheduling tool you want. Then submit your
work to the ML and you'll have Sylpheed supporting a calendar. Make that tool
the more generic as you can. Check out libical...

> it would
> also follow the unix approach of doing things: take things that do one
> thing (and they do it well), get them to work together to do more
> complex tasks...

Exactly the idea behind the Actions: make them work together. (Actions is just
a fancy name for shell commands :) )

--
Melvin Hadasht