List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:20750] Re: SSL-connections to pop3 server tends to
From:       Steve Sapovits <steves06 () comcast ! net>
Date:       2003-06-30 18:24:15

Jerry Feldman <gaf@gaf.blu.org> wrote:

> One suggestion for Linux and Unix users is to use fetchmail instead of
> Sylpheed. Fetchmail can easily be set up as a daemon and poll your POP
> server and it supports ssl. You direct the incoming email to a specific
> user on your machine.
>
> My ISP (eg. Comcast) switched us all from attbi to comcast today, and
> Comcast uses ssl for POP3 authentication. I just did a global search and
> replace on my .fetchmailrc file, added the ssl keywoprd, restarted
> fetchmail, and what little email I get on my Comcast account was
> downloaded into my mailbox. Since I use procmail as filter, it
> automatically inserts the email into the appropriate folder.

The set-up I use with Comcast:

-  Cyrus IMAP server running inside on a FreeBSD box
-  Outside gateway box provides an ssh tunnel to that IMAP server
-  fetchmail pulls all mail from family POP accounts, forwarding to sendmail
-  sendmail is configured to route to the IMAP server

The result is a set of IMAP mail folders I can see from anywhere, and
the ability (not done yet) to filter mail at the sendmail level for the
family (no spam, etc.).

I use Sylpheed to read it; others in my family use Netscape and KMail.

--
Steve Sapovits    steves06@comcast.net