List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:20740] IMAP performance tuning
From:       Carlo Graziani <carlo () oddjob ! uchicago ! edu>
Date:       2003-06-29 1:09:05

Hello, list.

OK, I'm up with version 0.9.2.  I use a local mailbox at work, and IMAP
from home to my work desktop machine.  Everything looks pretty slick.

The fly in the ointment is, if I happen to be using IMAP to browse a
folder with a lot of messages, it can take a very long time for sylpheed
to scan that folder, which it does every time it checks for new mail (and,
being obsessive about reading mail, I set it to check every couple of
minutes).  During the scan, no other actions are possible.

If I'm browsing a folder with few messages in it, the scan of the mailbox
is almost instantaneous.

This seems a little odd.  Doesn't sylpheed cache the folder info that it's
scanning for?

Is there something I can do to correct this performance problem?  I don't
see any obvious sylpheed parameter setting that I could try, but I haven't
been doing this very long.

TIA

Carlo

--
Carlo Graziani                                 (773) 702-7973 (Voice)
Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics       (773) 702-6645 (FAX)