List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:20280] Help with Adobe pdf Reader
From:       Greg Kedrovsky <greg () iglesia-del-este ! com>
Date:       2003-05-29 18:43:46

Hey all. Greetings from Costa Rica.

I would like to use Adobe Reader to view attached pdf files, but I'm
stumped on how to get it configured on my machine. I have xpdf
configured and running correctly with Sylpheed. I can right-click the
attached document file name in the attachment tab and choose xpdf '%s'
to "Open with..." It opens fine (except for a quirk or two specific to
xpdf, which is why I wanna test drive Adobe's offering of a pdf viewer).

My problem is my language. When I try to start up my Adobe Reader
(acroread at the command line) I get this error:

Warning: charset "UTF-8" not supported, using"ISO8859-1". Aborted

I've done some forth and back with UTF-8 and all that on this list when
we were running 0.8.10, and I think it got fixed in the 0.8.11 version
of Sylpheed. Well, now Adobe is giving me fits.

So, I wrote a small script and put it in my home directory:
 export LANG=C
 acroread

That gets Adobe to come up fine and I can use it without a hitch.

The problem is how I get this to work with Sylpheed's "Open with..."
option. I tried putting the script in the dialog box with '%s' at the
end, but of course that didn't work.

Does anyone have an idea on how to set the language variable temporarily
in order to view an attached pdf file in Adobe Acrobat?

Thanks ahead of time!

-Greg