List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:19880] Lobbying for a change...
From:       Bruce Bowler <bbowler () bigelow ! org>
Date:       2003-04-30 18:40:39

I asked about this a while ago and one other person said something along
the lines of "yeah, seems 'screwy' to me too".  If there's a "more formal"
way of requesting a change, ala bugzilla, let me know and I'll make it
there...

The way the address book works seems "wrong" to me.

Each entry has a "Display Name" and a "Nick Name".  If there is an entry
in "Nick Name", that is what gets put in the address, rather then the
"Display Name".  This can cause problems...

In the "benign" case, one of my co-workers wants to be called David, but
everyone calls him Dave.  That's what I'd like to be able to type in for a
"nickname" but have David (and his last name) show up in the header...

In the "not so benign" case, there's a contact who everyone here calls
"the jerk" (some folks don't even know his real name!).  Clearly, we don't
want "the jerk" to appear as such in the message headers.

It seems to be reasonable that "Display Name" is the *only* thing
(other than the actual email address, of course :-) that should ever be
displayed in the message header.  "nick name" should NEVER be displayed in
the message header.

Am I being unreasonable in the above thinking?

Thanks!
Bruce

PS I'm currently running 0.8.11 (main).  I'm not particularly interested
in moving to claws.