List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:19855] Sending Messages via SMTP with Sylpheed
From:       Henry Knapp <henry.knapp () attglobal ! net>
Date:       2003-04-29 17:49:59

Hello Folks,

I'm running Sylpheed version 0.7.4 on the
Lindows version of Debian Linux 2.4.19.

I can receive email from my ISP's POP3 server,
but always get a failure when trying to send
mail via the SMTP server.  I've configured
Sylpheed to not use SSL when sending or
receiving mail, and have entered my user name
and password in both the POP3 and SMTP server
fields in the configuration dialog.

I can send mail with Evolution.  I have
Evolution configured to use password
authentication to send mail via the ISP's
SMTP server.

Sylpheed doesn't seem to offer a configuration
option that enables password SMTP authentication,
or at least I can't figure out how to set it
up that way.  I've read the Sylpheed documentation
and tried various configurations, and none has
worked.

Here's a log of the client-server dialog when
I try to send mail:

Connecting to SMTP server: asmtp.attglobal.net ...
SMTP< 220 prserv.net - Maillennium ESMTP/MULTIBOX asmtp1 #7
ESMTP> EHLO enneos1
ESMTP< 250-prserv.net
ESMTP< 250-7BIT
ESMTP< 250-8BITMIME
ESMTP< 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
ESMTP< 250-DSN
ESMTP< 250-HELP
ESMTP< 250-NOOP
ESMTP< 250-PIPELINING
ESMTP< 250-SIZE 10485760
ESMTP< 250-STARTTLS
ESMTP< 250-VERS V04.00c++
ESMTP< 250 XMVP 2
ESMTP> AUTH CRAM-MD5
ESMTP< 334 PDE1NjU2OC4xMDUxNTkyMTk1QHByc2Vydi5uZXQ+
ESMTP< Decoded: <156568.1051592195@prserv.net>
ESMTP> Encoded dslaaa.att04818 c7a5beed625d2f00320d02f36d4a5636
ESMTP> ZHNsYWFhLmF0dDA0ODE4IGM3YTViZWVkNjI1ZDJmMDAzMjBkMDJmMzZkNGE1NjM2
ESMTP< 535 Authentication failure
*** Error occurred while sending MAIL FROM
*** SMTP AUTH failed
SMTP> QUIT
SMTP< 221 prserv.net

Can you point me to some help?