List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:19648] Re: Spam Filters?
From:       Albert Wagner <alwagner () tcac ! net>
Date:       2003-04-10 8:09:18

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:08:08 -0400
Joe Hill <joehill@sympatico.ca> wrote:
<snip>

> Oh, so after awhile you never even have to look at it? It just goes to
> /dev/null or whatever?

POPFIle is a proxy that is setup between Sylpheed and your POP account.
I have mine set up to insert "[spam]" into the header of spam and to
leave all else unaltered.  I then use the filter capability of Sylpheed
to sort the spam into trash and all else into appropriate mailboxes.
If, after a training period, you are satisfied that POPFile is catching
most spam, then you can just let Sylpheed automatically delete the
trash.  However, the whole idea behind the Bayesian approach is that
spam evolves to slip past current filters, hence you probably want to at
least scan your trash periodically, and keep it trained.

I am not a mail/filter guru and my choice of POPFile was it's ease of
use.