List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:18347] UI suggestion for reading signed messages
From:       "James K. Lowden" <jklowden () schemamania ! org>
Date:       2003-01-29 1:10:30

Hello,

I'd like to offer a suggestion for your consideration.

This is how I use Sylpheed every evening:

1.  Sit down.
2.  Click the "Next" button.
3.  Read.  Press spacebar until end of message.
4.  Repeat #3 until all messages in all folders have been read, or sleep
triumphs.

(Sometimes I reply, too, but that's not important here.)

Many messages arrive signed.  When I reach such a message, <space>
produces two tabs (Text and Attachments), stealing a line or two from the
message body display area.

When I get to the end of the message, Sypheed opens a little window in the
message area listing the mime components and their types and sizes.
Sypheed tries to display the attachment, but of course it can't, so I see,
"Error verifying the signature Key fingerprint: 2B9A2218BA3D01C6".
Pressing <space> again proceeds to the next message.

Does anyone else think this is suboptimal?

My suggestions:

1.  Don't display the attachment window if the only attachment is a
signature.
2.  Use a different icon (not a paperclip) in the message summary window
to distinguish signed messages from those that have other kinds of
attachments.
3.  Put the signature verification status message in the status bar at the
bottom of the main Sylpheed window, to the left of the account
name/button.
4.  If the status bar is not displayed, add the verification status to the
from/to/subject panel just above the message body.
5.  Add an entry to the right-click menu of a message summary.  Under
"View", add "Attachments".  That would open a dialog similar to the
current "Attachments" window, from which I could save or view some or all
attachments.  For the time being, it could just open the window we already
have, much like ^H (for me) shows all headers.  The point is to have some
way to view/save the attached signature.  I assume that would be useful to
someone.

The net gain is that the signature verification status is displayed
simultaneously with the message body (not after you've read it), and
<space> trips past all the silliness and takes you straight to the next
message.

I don't remember seeing this discussed before.  Thanks for listening.

--jkl