List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:17398] Re: search to all folders
From:       TomF <TomF () sjpc ! org>
Date:       2002-11-28 6:15:29

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 19:05:53 -0500
"James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:32:18 -0500, David Turley <dturley@pobox.com>
> wrote:
> > You can use grep from the command line. that's the only way I know. i
> > tried grepmail but doesn't seem to work on MH mailboxes
> >
> > On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:06:09 +0200 Pavlos Parissis
> > <p_pavlos@freemail.gr> wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to search for e-mail in all my folders?
> > > I tried to find a way but without any luck.
>
> I'm becoming convinced that Sylpheed's relationship to command-line tools
> reflects that of the whole OS.  Just like we have X and sh, so too we have
> Sylpheed and ... nmh I think.
>
> I installed nmh a little while ago.  It is self-contained, needing no
> other packages on my NetBSD system.  It consists of a ton command-line
> utilities to manage the store, no pun intended.  The answer to "search all
> mailboxes" seems to be something like "folders" + "scan" (because "scan"
> on its own deals with one folder).  You can also pack up an mbox with
> "packf" and grepmail from there.
>
> Now if only I could do this:
>
> 	$ scan | widget&
>
> where "widget" was some kind of Sylpheed-compatible thing that would let
> me view and answer the messages, sort of like a temporary imap server that
> it would spontaneous recognize.  I don't want "widget" to be a pipe
> because I don't want it to have copies.  If I delete a message from
> "widget", it should leave the store.  OK, maybe I'll leave that pun in.
>
> --jkl

I think that the best solution would be to enhance Sylpheed to allow the user to select a set of folders \
to be searched via selection boxes on a folder tree.  Then all of Sypheed's facilities would be available \
for the results of the search.  This is the way Eudora does it, and I can run Eudora under Win4Lin.  \
However, if I am running Win4Lin, I don't have to use Eudora.  I use dtSearch, which has heavy duty \
search facilities which allow me to seach Eudora folders, Sylpheed folders, text files, pdfs, WordPerfect \
files, Open Office files, etc., all at once.