List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:16968] Re: [patch]let sylpheed works in zh_CN.
From:       Thorsten Maerz <torte () netztorte ! de>
Date:       2002-10-31 22:03:36

Hi Hu,

I wrote (in a different reply):

> But changing the i18n makro doesnt seem right to me: The strings
> passed to this function may already be utf8
  ~~~~~~~~~               ~~~
Should read:
  "The strings returned from this func should already be utf8"

On win32, the .po/.mo files are converted to utf8.
As there is currently no chinese translation, gettext returns the
original string, that is not utf8 encoded.
What I dont understand, is why it is necessary to add the conversion
on your side. The strings passed to gettext shouldnt contain any
non-ascii chars.
Where did you get display errors without the conversion?

Best regards,
--
Thorsten Maerz          <torte@netztorte.de>
Sylpheed-claws/Win32:   http://claws-w32.sf.net