List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:15247] Re: Speaking of actions...
From:       Andre Costa <brblueser () uol ! com ! br>
Date:       2002-07-30 21:19:23

Hi Melvin,

thks for replying.

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:28:22 +0200
Melvin Hadasht wrote:

> Even if that was added, it would be a solution only for local MH
> mailboxes.

You're right. Being a (selfish? ;) ) POP user, I tend to ignore IMAP
issues. Not intentional, I guarantee =)

> You already can edit any message (action: gvim %F) and remove
> the part by hand, but that will only affect local storage. For IMAP,
> this will alter the local cache. I don't know for MBOX, but I think it
> will only affect the local storage.

You're right, for the short term, the 'gvim action' is the solution.

> [Personnally, I don't think that this feature is a job for an email
> client. It could be a feature, but then it's a bonus.

Agreed. I don't think this is a mandatory feature either. However, IMHO,
being able to strip a 1.2MB attachment without needing to get rid of the
whole msg (which might be important enough so that you keep it around) is
a nice bonus.

I don't receive such messages too often, and in an ideal world maybe they
wouldn't exist; however, the case I described above does happen every once
in a while to me (YMMV), and usually with important msgs with
(unnecessarily) huge attachments, and the idea of keeping huge binary
attachments on my mailbox doesn't please me, so, until now, I had to
delete the msgs.

... but from now on I will start playing with manually removing
attachments using the 'gvim action'. It's not ideal, but it will do it ;)

> There are software
> that collaborate with .procmail or the MTA and that will strip off every
> mime part and replace it with a URL pointing to the location where it
> was saved (and maybe checked for viruses?).  Sure, it's less easier to
> install, but it's more elegant. It also complicates (a bit) the problem
> of mail redirection or forwarding.]

Right. Early-handling of attachments definitely will complicate actions
such as redirection/forwarding. My vote still goes for the bonus feature
of being able to remove attachments ;)

Thks again for your attention.

Best,

Andre