List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:14638] problems with imapcache and quotas
From:       Vincent McIntyre <Vince.McIntyre () atnf ! csiro ! au>
Date:       2002-06-28 2:09:42

Hi list,

I have been running sylpheed for some months now, on a multiuser
solaris system. Currently running the vanilla 0.7.8.
I find that the IMAP caching causes me to bump up against the file
number quota quite a lot. This is not handled gracefully, and makes
the user's experience rather confusing. Particularly when you get
things like this:
  tcsh% /path/to/imapcache/INBOX/34289: fclose: Disc quota exceeded
  Sylpheed-WARNING **: can't fetch message 34289
  Sylpheed-WARNING **: can't fetch message 34289
  Sylpheed-WARNING **: can't select folder: INBOX
  (and then the message list goes blank...)

I'm not sure what the resolution to this could be, aside from just
increasing the quota - that's not always an option.
Perhaps the cache cleanup could be made a bit more agressive?
Could the cache feasibly be held in memory, or in a private /tmp dir?
Probably you would want a user selection on this - for people on a
fast network it is not much of a problem to reread things from the
IMAP server, while people on a slow/flaky link probably do need a cache.
I must say I never have this problem with PINE.

I also often read my mailbox with PINE as I move around the building,
with a sylpheed session still running on my desktop. Sylpheed does
not cope well with this either. If I View->UpdateSummary before doing
anything, then I get a reasonable estimate of the contents of my folder.
But if I try to access a message that was deleted already, I get a lot
of warnings. I think this is a side effect of caching, and one wonders
if for people like me it would be better to turn it off altogether?

I hope this is of some help in inspiring improvements to sylpheed.

Cheers
Vincent McIntyre                                vmcintyr@atnf.csiro.au
Australia Telescope National Facility, CSIRO     voice:+61-2-9372-4643
PO Box 76, Epping, NSW 1710, AUSTRALIA             fax:+61-2-9372-4442