List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:11056] Re: Sylpheed vs. Evolution
From:       Markus Schaber <markus.schaber () student ! uni-ulm ! de>
Date:       2002-02-28 8:22:37

Hi,

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:

> > > In other
> > > words, why have objects in the language when they're not supported
> > > at the level of the OS?
> >
> > Did you have a look at the Plurix OS which is developed at our
> > university? It is purely object oriented, and we don't even have a
> > file system - we use a persistent address space, and you "save" by
> > storing a reference to the object in the hierarchical name space.
>
> I didn't - but if you give me a URL, I'll surely take a look.

Seems I forgot to include the URL, I surely wanted to. Although the web
page is slightly outdated.

http://www.plurix.de/

> And if it's downloadable and can be installed on an old Pentium
> 200, I'd love to play with it.

It is not yet downloadable, but it should run on every Pentium/K6 or
better (maybe even on I386/486), and fits on a single floppy.

And there were presentations and life-demos on some meetings,
congresses, and on the last three CeBit events.

We intend to open source the whole thing, but in the moment, we don't
feel quite ready for it. (Or our project leader, Prof. Schulthess, is
afraid of losing control, don't quite know.)

We only have one disadvantage: It would be a major effort to port
Sylpheed (No gtk+, no C, no unixoid sockets, no files...)

Markus

--
"GPL software is not free - the cost is cooperation"