List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:09678] Re: Automatic rescan and Incorporation
From:       Daniel Brown <djb () unixan ! com>
Date:       2002-01-31 11:00:34

Okey.  First of all, this assumes you have a fetchmail configured
already and fetching email on a regular basis.  If not, Fetchmail
already has documentation to get you started.  Just be sure to setup a
crontab (or the fetchmail daemon, if you want) so that mail is
downloaded often.

Now, .fetchmailrc is typically configured like the following if you have
two accounts:

poll mail.isp.com proto pop3 user jdoe pass Nok-Nok smtphost localhost
poll pop.host.com proto pop3 user jdoe pass LetMeIn smtphost localhost

This reflects two accounts, both pop3 for jdoe@mail.isp.com and
jdoe@pop.host.com, and both are configured (as Fetchmail usually
recommends) via the local mailsystem's SMTP.  In your case, each line
might be rearranged somewhat and may have more options depending on
whether you or a front-end program wrote it, and your local
environmental needs.

Instead of delivering to the local SMTP server with the "smtphost"
command, you can replace "smtphost localhost" with a direct call to
Procmail with the "mda" command, and optionally with the name of a
procmail file (defaulting to .procmailrc if you don't specify one, of
course).  Here's an example of both accounts using different procmail
files (widen your screen if you see more than 2 lines):

poll mail.isp.com proto pop3 user jdoe pass Nok-Nok mda "procmail .procmailrc.isp"
poll pop.host.com proto pop3 user jdoe pass LetMeIn mda "procmail .procmailrc.host"

In the above, the files ".procmailrc.isp" and ".procmailrc.host" are the
procmail files for each account, respectively.  These should be located
in your home directory.

If you are simply sending each account to a different mailbox in your
Sylpheed folders, then each of them can be as simple as the following
two lines:

MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
DEFAULT=Folder-Name/.

Here, "Mail" is the directory relative to your home directory where your
Sylpheed MH folders are located; I believe in most cases this should be
correct, but change it if you put Sylpheed's folders elsewhere.
"Folder-Name" is the path name of the folder you want the mail to
deliver to; "inbox" is your inbox (not "Inbox"!), and most any other
folder will be the name you see in Sylpheed.  If you're delivering to a
sub-folder, then separate the parent and child folder with '/', e.g.
"Accounts/Host".

The '/.' at the end of the folder name is Procmail's internal way of
knowing that this is an MH folder, and messages should be added in the
MH method.  If you omit the ending dot, or the whole "/." entirely, then
your messages will not be delivered correctly.

As an example, for .procmailrc.isp we can specify that mail delivers to
the 'isp-mail' folder:

MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
DEFAULT=isp-mail/.

You can, of course, add recipes to these procmail files, and thus
achieve strong per-account filter, in addition to the separate default
folders.

I hope this is completely clear to everyone. =)  If not, let me know.

      -Daniel

------------ Quoted Message ------------
Date...: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 04:29:33 -0500
From...: "Dale P. Smith" <dsmith@altustech.com>
To.....: sylpheed@good-day.net
Subject: [sylpheed:09669] Re: Automatic rescan and Incorporation

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:06:19 -0800
Daniel Brown <djb@unixan.com> wrote:

> Also, it's possible to have Fetchmail directly call Procmail (without
> going through the local mail system & .forward file), and have
separate> Procmail files so you can filter different mail accounts
differently and> deliver directly to your Sylpheed MH folders.  If you
want me to expound> further on this, let me know, as it would probably
double the size of> this letter.

I would certainly like to hear more.  Maybe some very good example could
be included in the manual?

Thanks!
  -Dale

--