List:       swsusp-devel
Subject:    [Swsusp-devel] possible swsusp bug
From:       Paul Ionescu <paul () acorp ! ro>
Date:       2004-01-14 18:10:09

Hi,

I am testing swsusp for some time now, and is really great.
I just noticed some misbehaviour of swsusp (IMHO):

I have booted with "resume2=swap:/dev/hda5" where hda5 is a big enough
swap partition, I see in dmesg:
Jan 11 22:43:58 t40 kernel: SoftwareSuspend2:This is normal swap space
Jan 11 22:43:58 t40 kernel: Swsusp 2.0-rc3: kswsuspd starting
which is quite OK.
If I am using this swap partition, the swsusp works like a charm.
If I don't use any swap, swsusp gives me:

Swsusp 2.0-rc3: Initiating a software_suspend cycle.
LRU check at start of cycle...
Done.
You need some storage available to be able to suspend to disk.
LRU check at end of cycle...

which is not true because it has the right resume2 string.

I made a small swap file and if I use it, swsusp gives me:

Swsusp 2.0-rc3: Initiating a software_suspend cycle.
LRU check at start of cycle...
Done.
Unable to free sufficient memory to suspend. Still need 55480 pages.
LRU check at end of cycle...
Done.

So, it seems that it does not look for the size of hda5 to see that it
has plenty of space to suspend on, but it checks the current swap size
and maybe I am not suspending in the current swap space.

Thanks,
Paul