List:       swsusp-devel
Subject:    Re: [Swsusp-devel] NVidia-1.0-5328 blues, should I move to 2.6.0?
From:       Marc Lehmann <swsusp () plan9 ! de>
Date:       2003-12-28 5:43:20

On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 10:41:47PM +0100, Wolfgang Glas <wolfgang.glas@ev-i.at> wrote:
>   Since I'm now completely stuck, I think about moving to linux-2.6.0, which
> seems to be attractive, because of its superior ACPI-support and suspend/

I really don't want to spoil your wet dreams (and you certainly shuld
try!), but the ACPI support in 2.6 is a bit worse then in 2.4.

True, you get S3 etc., but there are more broken drivers in my
experience.

BTW, which gxf card/laptop do you have? the nvidia drivers react very
differently with diffeent cards and laptops.

>    So does anybody has experiences with 2.6.0 and an NVidia-aptop, which are
> encouraging....

I have discouraging eperiences with the nvidia drivers (46xx, 44xx, 43xx).

Under 2.6 and S3, the display stays black after resuming. I solved this
problem by using a small x86 emulator and POST'ing my video card, but the
nvidia drivers can't cope with a resetted card (they really are very bad
quality compared to the xfree driver).

I've written what I know at http://acpi.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Inspiron8600

However, this is with a geforce 5650. geforce 4 users have consistently
reported more luck, so YMMV.