List:       swsusp-devel
Subject:    Re: [Swsusp-devel] =?iso-8859-1?Q?URGENT?=
From:       Marc Lehmann <swsusp () plan9 ! de>
Date:       2003-12-27 16:31:52

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 10:35:36AM +1300, Nigel Cunningham <ncunningham@clear.net.nz> wrote:
> Nicholas was talking about adding a call to device_suspend(5) that's not
> there now, not about removing one that is there. Furthermore, I had

I'd like to remind people that harddisks that develop bad sectors when
power is turned off are very rare, and when it happens, it's usually a
firmware bug (refer to the IBM DTLA disaster for an example).

The reaosn is that power outages _are_ still common (not in old europe,
but it seems in the rest of the world), and switching off the power
suddenly is not uncommon either. It doesn't happen daily, but it does
happen.

So before making yourself overly nervous: there is just a single report
of something that could be a problem, but there is no good evidence that
this is the case.

Also, harddisks can't "brake hard", so whatever you can hear _is_ the
parking sound. the only conceivable reason, apart from broken hardware,
for this ti be fatal is when the disk is still writing a sector, and
develping a "bad sector" is totally normal (and good behaviour).  Flushing
the on-disk buffers, as linux since about 2.4.1x is doing, is the right
fix. If the software suspend somehow skips this, then this is the bug to
be fixed. Another symptom that would happen in this case would be that
raid's come up in an unclean state.