List:       swsusp-devel
Subject:    Re: [Swsusp-devel] ANNOUNCE: 1.0-pre17 incremental and full versions
From:       Roland Riegel <roland.riegel.maillist () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-07-09 13:38:00

Am Mittwoch, 9. Juli 2003 06:38 schrieb Nigel Cunningham:
> Hi all.

Hi Nigel!

> Since swsusp-devel keeps swallowing the patches, you'll have to download
> them from Sourcforge. Here the release notes (third attempt!)

I think there is a configuration setting at sourceforge which tweaks the
maximum acceptable message size.

> Here are incremental and full versions of the 1.0-pre17 patch as well as
> updates to the options patches (you'll see the ACPI fragment is
> separated now). I like the number 17. Perhaps I'm a little biased
> because my birthday is the 17th of a month (not this one). Whether it's
> for that reason or another, I'd like to see if we can make this the last
> pre in which anything substantial changes. From now on, just bugfixes,
> cleanups and documentation. Perhaps the next version might even be
> called 1.0? (But I doubt it!)

OK, here is my little report.

kernel 2.4.21 vanilla + swsusp 1.0-pre17
gcc 3.2.1
amd athlon xp
via kt 400 chipset
512 mb ram
1 gb swap
root file system reiserfs

before suspend:
# lsmod
via82cxxx_audio        21368   0
soundcore               3876   2  [via82cxxx_audio]
ac97_codec             11912   0  [via82cxxx_audio]
uhci                   25616   0  (unused)
ehci-hcd               17416   0  (unused)
usbcore                62848   1  [uhci ehci-hcd]
8139too                15208   1
mii                     2576   0  [8139too]
rtc                     6940   1  (autoclean)
# swsuspctl2 --status
WARNING: This program was written for a different version of the swsusp
interface (2, not 3)! Results may be unpredictable! You should download
the correct version for your kernel.

swsuspctl version 0.90
kswsusp version 1.0_pre17-2_4_21 (interface version 3)
 Reboot after suspend: Yes
  Pause between steps: No
   Asynchronous reads: Enabled
  Asynchronous writes: Enabled
      Write pageset 2: Yes
       Log everything: No
          Compression: Enabled
     Image size limit: unlimited
    Max. async IO ops: 100
 Debug enabled kernel: Yes
    Slow down suspend: No
  Beep between stages: No
      Debugging Level: 2 (Nice display with X/Y MB messages)

Suspending without the hibernate script, simply by running
	swsuspctl2 -g
works without problems.

Suspending with
	hibernate
works (it is using shutdown+z btw), but the usb modules are not reloaded,
which probably is not a problem of swsusp itself but the hibernate script
(and its configuration):
# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: G S
via82cxxx_audio        21368   0  (unused)
soundcore               3876   2  [via82cxxx_audio]
ac97_codec             11912   0  [via82cxxx_audio]
usbcore                62848   1
8139too                15208   1
mii                     2576   0  [8139too]
rtc                     6940   1  (autoclean)

Time needed to
- suspend: 12 sec (running hibernate until reboot)
- resume: 13 sec (grub starting to load the kernel until X being restored)
Measured with a X session running KDE freshly booted up.

> May it serve you well.

It does. Thank you! :)

> Nigel

Roland