List:       swsusp-devel
Subject:    RE: [Swsusp] An alpha working patch for 2.4.19
From:       Florent Chabaud <fchabaud () free ! fr>
Date:       2002-09-30 14:19:53

Hi Nigel,

En réponse à Nigel Cunningham <ncunningham@clear.net.nz>:

> > I mean also that we are not in a swsusp area but in a rather
> important
> > part of the kernel. I don't want to touch this part unless we know
> > exactly what we do. For your system, the correction seems OK, but on
> > mine it prevents from suspending and the system becomes unstable,
> but
> > see below.
>
> I'm still thinking there's some other problem that this is just a
> symptom
> of. If I get the chance, I'll see if I can look some more.

I agree with that. I've tried to trace the origin of symptom, but I can't see the \
point.

> > Apart from that, I finally got the time to carefully analyze that
> damn
> > bug and I think I finally got it. At least I have a workaround that
> > makes swsusp work: the bug occurs when rw_swap_page_nolock
> > tries to free
> > the pagedir pages, but we don't need to free them since we're about
> > halt the machine (at this stage we don't abort anymore) so I just
> made
> > the same function without freeing pages.
>
> Still sounds like dealing with the symptom rather than the cause, I'm
> afraid. I am wondering why we see this problem when writing the pagedir,
> but
> not in writing the data.

I have an interpretation that I know fore sure to be false, but... When writing \
pagedir, we link the pages together so the last written page has virtually a link to \
all pagedir pages. It is therefore unadvisable to free those pages. I know this is \
not the real explanation, since we just write an adress somewhere in the page, but it \
must be something like that, since pagedir pages are the only ones like that.

What I really think is that your way to memorize suspend image will solve the true \
cause of that bug. I'll now concentrate on merging this part.

Sincerely,

Florent

PS: by the way, him not her ;-)