List:       swsusp-devel
Subject:    [swsusp] Re: (swsusp) swsusp for 2.5.1
From:       Pavel Machek <pavel () suse ! cz>
Date:       2001-12-26 15:51:18

Hi!

> > Partial success. I made a suspend-resume cycle (actually, I write this
> > mail during the resume session) just after a boot. The resume seems OK
> > but I have the kswapd task running 100% CPU and... my fan has started to
> > turn (and consume battery power ;( ) since resume. I don't know if this
> > is due to the CPU load or something else. I will now try a suspension
> > under X11.
>
> I started apm -S under an X session. Resume worked except for the X

Does apm -S really trigger swsusp? I'm not 100% sure.

> session which crashed. kswapd task runs at 100% CPU and the CPU fan
> started. I was able to restart an X session.

Expected, do not suspend from X, unless you have framebuffer.

> I tried after to change console to second one by Ctrl-Alt F2 and
> suspend. Resume worked and I was able to restore the X session by
> Alt-F7. However, the kswapd task still runs at 100% CPU as well as the
> CPU fan.
>
> However, the second cycle seems more problematic and suspend/resume
> seems not deterministic. I also experienced apparent correct resume of
> X11 that leads after a few seconds to screen garbage. I was able to
> reboot but root filesystem was checked (which isn't good for an ext3
> filesystem).
>
> I have put the patch I used on
> http://fchabaud.free.fr/English/default.php3?COUNT=3&FILE0=Tricks&FILE1=Laptop&FILE2=Swsusp
> I think that the patch is compatible with ext3 (I don't know for
> other

Can you mail me a copy? (Only parts you want changed relative to my
swsusp patch).

But I guess you did it wrong. kjournald's should not get PF_IOTHREAD
(seems pretty dangerous to me)... You should make them go to
refrigerator, instead. If they may block (I think they may), it should
be rather easy.

> journaling filesystems). Other people interested, please test. Nice job
> Pavel, but kswapd 100% CPU seems to remain as a bug, isn't it ?

Yep, looks like bug. Hopefully mm bug, not mine ;-).

> May the patch be with you :-)

Checks his bag, machine is still there, boots that handheld, no, patch
is not there. Not on 20MB flashcard. Sorry. ;-)
									Pavel
--
(about SSSCA) "I don't say this lightly.  However, I really think that the U.S.
no longer is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy." --hpa