List:       swsusp-devel
Subject:    Re: [swsusp] IP port address
From:       Andreas Mohr <a.mohr () mailto ! de>
Date:       2001-09-24 8:18:10

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 04:23:17PM +0900, Kuniyasu SUZAKI wrote:

> Dear,
>
> Does SWSUSP work well when IP port address is changed?
>
> I suspend the liunx using SWSUSP on Virtual Machine VMware 2.0
> (http:/www.vmware.com) and I tried to resume it on VMware 3.0 Beta.
> At that time kernel was paniced.
>
> I found the difference was the IO port address. The IO port address for
> virtual SCSI (Buslogic BT-958) was assigned at 0x1020 on VMware 2.0.
> However it was assinged 0x1080 on VMware 3.0.
>
> Can SWSUSP deal with the change of IO port address?
No. swsusp is completely and utterly irresponsible for this ;-)
It's only the driver's APM/ACPI power management layer which is supposed
to handle this (as a BIOS suspend-to-disk would exhibit the same problems,
thus the driver would have to cope with it the same way).
--> Blame your driver for this mess.

(I'm not sure whether swsusp already completely properly signals power
management level changes to the kernel, though)

--
Andreas Mohr