List:       swftools-common
Subject:    [Swftools-common] SWF2png image quality issues
From:       James Fassett <james.fassett () tribalddb ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-11-09 18:33:07

Hi,

I am seeing quality differences in swf2png when targeting Flash player 8 and
above using the -T command line option.  This is with the latest version of
swftools (2007-11-09-1124) compiled on Mac OS X (using fink installed libs).

The version 8+ swf's are severely degraded compared with swfs created at
versions 7- (or within Flash CS3 IDE).  They look overly compressed.  I
would prefer lossless or a JPEG quality the same as the default Flash
quality.

The reason I need crisp quality images in version 9 is so that I can load
the SWF into Flex and control the current frame using AS3.

I hacked about inside the code trying to turn off compression and got to a
point where the stand-alone Flash Player showed the images at a high
quality, but when I loaded the files into a running Flex application the
quality degraded again. I did this by compiling with the version pegged at 6
and forcing execution of the parts of rfxswf.c that add Flash 9 header data
(lines 1299 - 1320).

Any suggestions or help appreciated.  Contact me if you would like source
images or output swf's that show this behaviour.

James.

Tribal DDB, a division of DDB UK Limited, Company No. 00933578, with its registered \
office situated at 12 Bishops Bridge Road, London W2 6AA. \
intended only for the named person or entity to which it is addressed and contains \
valuable business information that is privileged, confidential and/or otherwise \
protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or \
the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee, \
or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is \
strictly prohibited. All contents are the copyright property of the sender. If you \
are not the intended recipient, you are nevertheless bound to respect the sender's \
worldwide legal rights. We require that unintended recipients delete the e-mail and \
destroy all electronic copies in their system, retaining no copies in any media.  \